What It Means to be a Powerful Business Woman with Rachel Ten Brink of Red Bike Capital
Rachel ten Brink is a data-driven founder, investor, and the General Partner and CEO of Red Bike Capital, a seed-stage fund that invests in US-based Consumer Fintech, Ecommerce Infrastructure, and Consumer Tech. Recognized as one of the Top 50 LatinX Tech Leaders in the US, Rachel was named Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Most Powerful Women of 2020. She was the Co-Founder and CMO of Scentbird, a fragrance subscription service company where she led Growth, Brand, and Business Development, scaling the company to 500,000 subscribers. As an investor, Rachel serves as a Board Member and advisor to consumer-tech brands, including Dyper and AboveBoard.
Rachel joins us today to discuss why taking up space and owning what you’re good at is crucial to success as a powerful woman in business. She explains how Entreprenistas can be strategic about using customer feedback to pivot and scale their businesses. She shares what to look for in your co-founders and her best tips on keeping yourself brutally honest about your company’s growth. Rachel also underscores the role of cultivating mental health in entrepreneurship and highlights the value of nurturing your tribe of fellow Entreprenistas.
Be sure to join the Entreprenista Circle for even more amazing support and guidance in your Entreprenista journey!
“Whenever I see female founders, I think about how much harder they had to work to get where they are—and how much better an entrepreneur that makes them.” – Rachel ten Brink
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- Rachel’s background, the value she found in corporate training, and what pushed her to start her own company
- Developing the Scentbird brand and why you shouldn’t do the “try before you buy” business model
- How Rachel connected with her Scentbird co-founders
- The benefits of having a large team of founders and the role of diversity in the Scentbird team
- Being adaptable to change and how much time to give an idea to see if it’s working
- The importance of engaging customers in conversations
- How Rachel decided it was time to move on from Scentbird and start another venture
- Managing your mental health as an entrepreneur
- What led Rachel to found Rent Bike Capital
- How to effectively communicate to women on social media to influence your marketing
- Facing challenges as a woman in business over the years
- The gender gap in venture capitalism
- Rachel’s tips and tricks for raising money and presenting over Zoom
- Why influencer marketing is an effective way to connect with women
- Book: Million Dollar Women: The Essential Guide for Female Entrepreneurs Who Want to Go Big by Julia Pimsleur
- Pocket App
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Take up space—impostor syndrome be damned. Believe in your idea, even if you’re the only woman in the room. That’s what power is about.” – Rachel ten Brink
- “There are lots of ups and downs in the founder’s journey – managing your emotions when you’re an entrepreneur is important.” – Rachel ten Brink
- “The thing about startups is that they’re never the same, so it’s important to always keep an eye on, and understand, their evolution” – Rachel ten Brink
Connect with Rachel ten Brink:
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Get the Support You Need with the Entreprenista Circles
Entreprenista, it’s time to take your business to the next level!
We’re excited to share the launch of a brand-new group coaching opportunity through the Entreprenista League: The Entreprenista Circles! When you join the Entreprenista Circles program, you will be part of a small group to discuss your business challenges and opportunities, and tap into the support and experience from your peers – all led by an expert coach and facilitator.
Learn more about joining the Entreprenista Circle today! Head over to https://entreprenista.com/circles
Say “Hello!” To DigiCards™
Are you ready to take your virtual team meetings to the next level? Are you tired of yelling “You’re on mute!” at your computer screen and letting the important points you were trying to make get lost?
If you’re tired of leading unproductive, distraction-filled team meetings, then it’s time for you to say “Hello!” to DigiCards. Each pack of virtual meeting cards include 20 color-coded professional cards designed to streamline your meeting communications while allowing each meeting to create an opportunity for collaboration and fun.
Say “Goodbye!” to waving your arms, being ignored, and frantically typing in the chat.
Start your next virtual meeting with DigiCards – the virtual meeting cards for entreprenistas.
To grab your deck of DigiCards and bring fun, engagement, and collaboration back into your team meetings, visit www.hellodigicards.com. Use the coupon code: Entreprenista10 to receive 10% off your first order.
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and for more exclusive content, tips, and insight, join the Entreprenistas Facebook group and visit the SocialFly website.