Leveraging Small Business Grants & Crowdfunding to Scale Your Startup with Elisa Molina of COVEDOZA
Elisa Molina is the founder and CEO of COVEDOZA, a go-to marketplace for women to feel empowered, validated, and confident through art. Elisa is passionate about helping female artists and people of color bolster their artistic influence while generating passive income. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in International Business from the State University of New York College at Buffalo, a Bachelor’s degree in Business from the Florida International University College of Business, and has previously served in the Peace Corps in San Jose and Costa Rica.
Elisa joins us today to share the humble beginnings of her company and how her experience in the Peace Corps inspired her to support and empower female artists and creatives. We discuss the challenges she faced while learning about import and export laws and how she developed a revenue-sharing model that supported the artisans she collaborated. Elisa shares how the COVID-19 pandemic impacted her business and her experience with crowdfunding and applying for small business COVID-19 relief grants. She shares tips for creating your first crowdfunding campaign and how she leveraged LinkedIn to promote her campaign. We also discuss PR strategies for increasing your brand awareness and the pros and cons of using H.E.R.O. as part of your PR strategy.
“There are tons of opportunities and tools available for women entrepreneurs to apply for grants.” – Elisa Molina
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week on Startups in Stilettos:
- What inspired Elisa to launch COVEDOZA
- From ideation to launch: How Elisa initially began collaborating with international artisans
- How Elisa educated herself on navigating import and shipping challenges with international suppliers
- How Elisa created a revenue-sharing model to support the artisans as well as her company
- What kept Elisa inspired and motivated to continue building COVENDOZA
- Applying for grants and creating a crowdfunding campaign
- Tips for creating your first crowdfunding campaign
- Marketing strategies Elisa used to promote her business
- Understanding how grants work and how Elisa used the grand funds to grow her COVEDOZA
- How to find small business grants in your area and state
- Strategies to increase brand awareness and identifying the best ways to connect with reporters
- What’s next for COVEDOZA and the inspiration behind the “It’s Me Season” apparel collection
- GoFundMe Small Business Relief Initiative
- iFundWomen of Color
- Google Drive
- Hello Alice
- Help a Reporter Out
- Google Alerts
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Don’t focus on perfecting. Focus on getting started. Launch it and as you go – as you learn, as you continue to raise funds – you will have an opportunity to always update your campaign.” – Elisa Molina
- “I noticed that the more grants I applied for, the better I was getting at pitching my business and injecting passion and mission.” – Elisa Molina
- “If we do not prioritize ourselves, we cannot take care of others.” – Elisa Molina
Connect with Elisa Molina:
- Email: Elisa@covedoza.com
- COVEDOZA on LinkedIn
- COVEDOZA on Instagram
- COVEDOZA on Facebook
- COVEDOZA on Twitter
- COVEDOZA on YouTube
- Elisa Molina on LinkedIn
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts!
- Stephanie Cartin on Instagram
- Stephanie Cartin on LinkedIn
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join.
We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Apple Podcasts | TuneIn | GooglePlay | Stitcher | Spotify | iHeart Radio
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.
Leave a Comment