Embracing Your Work for a Fulfilling Career with Fran Hauser
Fran Hauser is a start-up investor and keynote speaker, as well as the author of Embrace the Work, Love Your Career, a book that’s becoming the go-to for women who are seeking more joy and fulfillment in their careers. She is also the author of The Myth of the Nice Girl, which was named “Best Book of the Year” in 2018 by Audible. As an investor, Fran has invested in over 30 women-founded companies across consumer packaged goods, media and publishing, and wellness. Fran is a media executive with over 15 years of experience in the field—including serving as the President of Digital at Time Inc., where she led innovation, acquisitions, and digital expansion for brands such as People, InStyle, and Entertainment Weekly.
Fran joins us today to discuss how and why she pivoted from the corporate world and started her own business. She highlights the importance of storytelling and outlines her best practices in pitching to an investor. She reveals the inspiration behind Embrace the Work, Love Your Career. Fran also underscores how to love your career and provides essential tips for a happy and healthy career.
“To love your career, it’s important to do the work.” – Fran Hauser
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- Fran’s first careers in the corporate and start-up worlds
- Why Fran decided to leave the corporate world and how she started investing in start-ups
- Fran’s advice on pitching to venture capitalists and angel investors online
- The power of storytelling and its role in pitching
- The most memorable pitch from a business that Fran invested in
- Fran’s most successful investment to date and her biggest investment mistake
- What inspired Fran to write her new book, Embrace the Work, Love Your Career
- How self-discipline helped Fran juggle writing a book and raising her kids
- “The Smile File” and figuring out how to love your career
- The inspiration behind The Myth of the Nice Girl
- Fran’s advice on being empathetic as a leader and tips on work/life balance and maintaining focus
- Book: Inside Out: A Memoir by Demi Moore
- Book: Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown
- Book: The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “The most successful pitches are usually very compelling stories that paint a picture of a big pain point, big market, and the founder’s unique position or competitive advantage to solve that pain point.” – Fran Hauser
- “There’s this myth that if a woman’s too nice, they’re not going to get ahead at work. It’s always been my leadership style to be nice and strong—you don’t have to choose between the two.” – Fran Hauser
- “Being an Entreprenista means I get to choose the initiatives I work on and the people I work with—and it’s such a gift to have that choice.” – Fran Hauser
- Taking Action and Living Well with Soraya Darabi
- Demystifying Fundraising for Your Dream Business with Annie Evans of Dream Ventures
Connect with Fran Hauser:
- Fran Hauser Website
- Book: Embrace the Work, Love Your Career: A Guided Workbook for Realizing Your Career Goals with Clarity, Intention, and Confidence
- Book: The Myth of the Nice Girl: Achieving a Career You Love Without Becoming a Person You Hate
- Fran Hauser on LinkedIn
- Fran Hauser on Instagram
- Fran Hauser on Twitter
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
PNC Celebrates Women Business Leaders
Each year, PNC celebrates women business leaders by hosting Women in Business Week. As co-founders of SocialFly and Entreprenista, Courtney and I were invited to join the lineup of this year’s keynote speakers!
Join us on Thursday, May 12th at 1p.m. Eastern Time for our keynote event, but you won’t want to miss any of the webcasts. This year’s all-virtual line up is absolutely inspiring.
To register for PNC’s Women in Business Week webcast event, head over to PNC.com/businesswebcasts – we can’t wait to see you there!
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and for more exclusive content, tips, and insight, join the Entreprenistas Facebook group and visit the SocialFly website.