Embracing a DIY Approach to Marketing & PR with Leeanna Gantt of TookTake
Leeanna Gantt is the inventor and CEO of TookTake, a patented medication reminder system that is revolutionizing the way people take their medications. TookTake offers a variety of medication reminder labels designed to help consumers avoid accidental medication overdose and remember which medications they’ve taken, and when. As a breast cancer survivor, Leeanna knows how difficult it can be to remember if you’ve taken your medication – and have taken it on time. Prior to launching TookTake, Leeanna served in executive and leadership roles at a variety of organizations, including Start With, Rainbow Pack, and Tinker – Community Art Studio.
Leeanna joins us today to share how she turned a personal challenge into a fulfilling and rewarding startup business. She shares the inspiration behind launching TookTake, the first steps she took to transition her company from the ‘business idea stage’ to successfully launching a startup, and how she leaned on friends and family to test her products. We discuss the importance of managing your expectations as a new entrepreneur and why Leeanna chose a DIY approach for her PR strategy. Leeanna shares her experience with researching and applying for a Utility Patent for her products and the costs associated with obtaining a Utility Patent. We also discuss the best ways to pitch your products to journalists and share tips for honing your messaging and sharing your brand story in a concise, yet powerful way.
“What didn’t work was just doing nothing.” – Leeanna Gantt
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week on Startups in Stilettos:
- What inspired Leeanna to start the TookTake business
- The first steps Leeanna took to transition TookTake from a business idea to a business startup
- Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone
- Managing your expectations and how Leeanna prepared to launch her company
- Using grassroots marketing strategies to promote your new business
- Creating a brand story that is relatable to your customers
- Why Leeanna chose a DIY approach to marketing and PR
- Pivoting from selling wholesale products to direct-to-consumer sales
- The strategy Leeanna used to approach wholesale buyers
- How Leeanna’s products and packaging have evolved since launching her company
- Protecting your intellectual property and applying for a patent
- The best ways to to pitch your story and product ideas to journalists
- Tips for honing your story and message
- What’s next for TookTake
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Don’t invest a lot in your first packaging because you’ll probably have to change it.” – Leeanna Gantt
- “Be persistent. If you believe in your product, keep trying to find the right people.” – Leeanna Gantt
Connect with Leeanna Gantt:
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts!
- Stephanie Cartin on Instagram
- Stephanie Cartin on LinkedIn
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
This episode is sponsored by… Hershey’s Her For She Sorority
Is there a business woman in your network that deserves to be celebrated?
Nominate a woman that inspires you to be featured on Entreprenista’s social media using the hashtag: #HerForShe and tag us @Entreprenistas and @Hersheys
Get Featured on Startups in Stilettos
Want a chance to be featured on Startups in Stilettos? We’re currently accepting applications from our Entreprenista League members to be featured on the show!
Think of the Entreprenista League as your team members in what can be a lonely startup founder’s journey. You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded female startup founders who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website, social channels – and, of course, the Startups in Stilettos podcast – and so much MORE!
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos, powered by the Entreprenista Podcast Network. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.