Attorney Turned Fashion Designer with Karen Fultz-Robinson of ObservaMé
Imagine going to law school and becoming a successful attorney. Now imagine years down the road realizing your purpose is in a completely different industry that you know absolutely nothing about. Would you freeze in fear, or fast-track your ideas because you just knew they would change lives?
In this week’s episode, Karen Fultz-Robinson, founder of ObservaMé, an athletic wear company with a passion for changing lives, discusses why she left law to put pen to paper and design luxury athletic wear. She also shares how her former career relationships help her now and what she has learned along the way.
“I was not a fashion person. I was not a designer. So my learning curve was humbling. And it still humbles me to this day, because I’m learning every single day how to navigate the waters in this new industry.” – Karen Fultz-Robinson
This week on Startups In Stilettos:
- Karen shares the light bulb moment that made her start ObservaMé (1:49)
- Karen talks about why her vision came to life so quickly (2:59)
- How ObservaMé has changed since it first started (4:47)
- What social media platform Karen first started advertising on (8:15)
- How the pandemic helped Karen decide to go full-time with ObservaMé (9:41)
- Where ObservaMé is going in the future (11:39)
- Karen asks Jessica and Stephanie for advice on reaching customers through social media (14:03)
- Karen, Jessica, and Stephanie discuss the use of publicists (22:41)
- 15% off code for listeners: Entreprenista15
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “I am a very impatient type of person. So I tend to fast-track things. Because once I see it in my mind, and in terms of creativity, I want to see it come to fruition where it’s tangible and touchable.” – Karen Fultz-Robinson
- “You think you have the best idea in the world. Now you have to learn how to create an image in the mind of others that your idea is the best idea for them as well. ” – Karen Fultz-Robinson
- “ObservaMé is Spanish for ‘watch me.’ And of course, I designed the clothing with the watch opening in the sleeve. – Karen Fultz-Robinson
- “89% of the people who make a determination that ‘I want to be healthy’ fail, because they don’t have the right clothes on.” – Karen Fultz-Robinson
Connect with Karen Fultz-Robinson:
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts:
- Stephanie Cartin on Instagram
- Stephanie Cartin on LinkedIn
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
Get Featured on Startups in Stilettos
Want a chance to be featured on Startups in Stilettos? We’re currently accepting applications from our Entreprenista League members to be featured on the show! Think of the Entreprenista League as your team members in what can be a lonely startup founder’s journey. You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded female startup founders who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website, social channels – and, of course, the Startups in Stilettos podcast – and so much MORE!
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos, powered by the Entreprenista PodcastNetwork. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.