Knowing Your Customers and Innovating Consumer-Centric Products with Mara Smith of Inspiro Tequila
Mara Smith is the Founder and CEO of Inspiro Tequila, an additive-free tequila brand owned, created, and inspired by women. After graduating from Pritzker School of Law at Northwestern University, Mara worked as an attorney for Mayer, Brown, & Platt and later as a corporate attorney for McDonald’s. Mara and the Inspiro Tequila team seek to support and inspire women founders while making women feel seen and relevant in industries where they have long been underrepresented.
Mara joins us today to discuss Inspiro Tequila’s mission to meet the needs of women consumers. She describes how she pivoted from serving as a McDonald’s corporate attorney to following her entrepreneurial spirit. She highlights the importance of knowing your customers and innovating marketing strategies to meet their needs. Mara also outlines the digital strategies Inspiro Tequila used to build brand awareness before launching and shares her advice on taking the risk to reach out and network.
“As a founder, you have to have an understanding of every aspect of the business enough to make decisions, but you don’t have to be the expert in every area.” – Mara Smith
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- What lit Mara’s entrepreneurial spirit and inspired her to launch Inspiro Tequila
- Creating and innovating customer-centric products
- The first steps Mara took toward turning her idea into a thriving business
- How her legal background helped her build a business
- How long it took Mara to research the liquor industry and its customers
- The most surprising things Mara learned after launching her business
- Mara’s advice on funding your business and alternatives to seeking VC funds or giving away equity
- Her tips on working with agencies or freelancers and delegating parts of the business
- The Inspiro Tequila launch strategy and how learning about their customers helped the company build a brand community
- Why Mara moved away from using Google Drive and the alternative she’s currently using
- Working with influencers and ambassadors and how Inspiro Tequila measures the efficacy of their brand strategy
- Mara’s networking and community-building strategies
- Her thoughts on balancing work and life as an Entreprenista
- App: Airtable
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Find small agencies and freelancers to help you; being new, I wanted someone who cared about the brand and wanted to see Inspiro Tequila grow.” – Mara Smith
- “Be a learn-it-all, not a know-it-all.” – Mara Smith
- “Supporting other women-owned businesses is essential for any woman in business to be successful.” – Mara Smith
Connect with Mara Smith:
- Inspiro Tequila
- Inspiro Tequila on LinkedIn
- Inspiro Tequila on Instagram
- Inspiro Tequila on Facebook
- Inspiro Tequila on Twitter
- Mara Smith on LinkedIn
- CODEWORD: Entreprenista10
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Improve Your Customer Support with TextExpander
Every minute counts when running a business. That’s why we are so excited to introduce you to an amazing, time-saving customer support solution – TextExpander! TextExpander gives you an edge over your competition by speeding up your customer support and communications with easy-to-format snippets that save you time when typing. With TextExpander, your customer communications will have less repetition, fewer errors and consistent messaging that will keep your growing team aligned and working more efficiently.
Here’s how it works…
- Drop commonly used content (like email templates and FAQs) into TextExpander to create a snippet and assign an abbreviation.
- Type the abbreviation to trigger your snippet and see your content expand.
It’s that easy!
TextExpander is available on Mac, Windows, Chrome, iPhone and iPad so you can use your snippets on any device, in any program, and share them with your growing team.
Don’t miss out on your opportunity to save valuable time and get more done with the power of TextExpander. To start your journey toward better, faster, more consistent customer support and save 20% off your first year with TextExpander, visit www.TextExpander.com/Podcast.
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and for more exclusive content, tips, and insight, join the Entreprenistas Facebook group and visit the SocialFly website.