Demystifying Fundraising for Your Dream Business with Annie Evans of Dream Ventures
Annie Evans is the founder and CEO of Dream Ventures, a boutique fund that invests in the most promising founders striving to positively impact the world. Dream Ventures’s portfolio includes theSkoop, House of Wise, DORE, MOONS, and many others. Before founding Dream Ventures, Annie co-founded Beautified, a geo-located app that finds and books on-demand beauty and fitness services. With a Bachelor of Arts degree in Corporate Communications from Elon University, Annie understands consumer behavior and the essential role of B2B partnerships in turning great ideas into thriving companies.
Annie joins us today to share her journey from sleeping on her friends’ couches while bootstrapping her first business to helping the most promising founders through her boutique investment fund platform. She describes how she once converted her first customers into early investors and explains what makes a great investment pitch. She also shares her three essential tips on creating an operating agreement with business partners and explains how to make the fundraising process approachable for every Entreprenista.
“Fundraising is sales: The first step is research, followed by good, old fashioned organization.” – Annie Evans
This week on the Entreprenista Podcast:
- Annie’s first venture and how it led her to found Dream Ventures
- Her experience getting an investor and raising money for the first time
- How the early customers of her first business turned into angel investors
- Why her first company went out of business and the lessons she learned from the experience
- What founders need to think about when finding business partners
- The importance of having a great business attorney and how they can help you with creating operating agreements
- Why Annie decided to move forward and start another business after the failure of her first
- What Dream Ventures is and how it can help Entreprenistas raise funds for their dream businesses
- How Annie raised $50,000 in over a month on IFundWomen
- Selling your vision, creating an experience for investors, and Annie’s advice on delivering the best business pitches on Zoom
- How Dream Ventures can help every Entreprenista through their fundraising process
- The most challenging part about founding a business without a business partner
- Finding angels for IFundWomen and how Annie raised $2 million in 60 days for the platform
- Book: Backable: The Surprising Truth Behind What Makes People Take a Chance on You by Suneel Gupta
- Book: Pick Three: You Can Have It All by Randi Zuckerberg
- House of Wise
- Stripe Payments
- SPV Sisters
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Determine how much equity you need to set you up for success. Negotiate the right equity to give yourself voting rights.” – Annie Evans
- “Always do a reference check on anybody you’re going to business with. Look at where they worked and how they handle tough situations.” – Annie Evans
- “When you’re doing the operating agreement, outline how you make decisions; it’s inevitable that not everybody’s going to agree on decisions.” – Annie Evans
Connect with Annie Evans:
- Dream Ventures
- Dream Ventures on LinkedIn
- Dream Ventures on Instagram
- Annie Evans on LinkedIn
- Email: email@example.com
Join the Entreprenista League!
Hey Entreprenistas! We’re launching the Entreprenista League, our very own members platform and community just for you!
We listened to your feedback and the support you’re looking for to start and build your business, and we’re here to provide you with all of the resources you’ll need!
As part of the Entreprenista League, you’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day. You’ll find special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, and the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista league today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Be the Best Dressed on Zoom…and the Most Comfortable
Entreprenistas – it’s time to look professional and feel comfortable while working from home.
Introducing WorkRobe – the WFH-ready robes designed to help you be the best dressed professional on Zoom…and the most comfortable.
Gone are the days of wasting time trying to find the perfect outfit to wear on Zoom, only to change back into loungewear the second your meeting ends. The WorkRobe robe means business! With the look of a professional robe on the top, no one on Zoom will ever know you’re wearing a robe.
If you’re ready to start looking great and feeling comfortable at your next Zoom meeting, head over to www.myworkrobe.com to order your Workrobe today. Enter code Entreprenista15 to receive 15% off your first order.
Say “Hello!” To DigiCards™
Are you ready to take your virtual team meetings to the next level? Are you tired of yelling “You’re on mute!” at your computer screen and letting the important points you were trying to make get lost?
If you’re tired of leading unproductive, distraction-filled team meetings, then it’s time for you to say “Hello!” to DigiCards. Each pack of virtual meeting cards include 20 color-coded professional cards designed to streamline your meeting communications while allowing each meeting to create an opportunity for collaboration and fun.
Say “Goodbye!” to waving your arms, being ignored, and frantically typing in the chat.
Start your next virtual meeting with DigiCards – the virtual meeting cards for entreprenistas.
To grab your deck of DigiCards and bring fun, engagement, and collaboration back into your team meetings, visit www.hellodigicards.com. Use the coupon code: Entreprenista10 to receive 10% off your first order.
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and for more exclusive content, tips, and insight, join the Entreprenistas Facebook group and visit the SocialFly website.