Redefining the Future of Work with Marilynn Joyner of Her Workplace
Marilynn realized after the pandemic that the standard American way of working was on the way out. Many people, women in particular, wanted to maintain the flexibility that they had become accustomed to. So she decided to take her decade of commercial real estate experience to create a community that would benefit landlords and workers alike.
In today’s episode, we sit down with Marilynn Joyner, founder and CEO of Her Workplace, which is a physical and digital career community for women who are at the beginning or mid level stages of their careers to build relationships, exchange knowledge and share stories. She shares where the idea for Her Workplace came from, how she knew it was time to leave her corporate job, her thoughts on the future of work, and so much more.
“I really wanted to be able to meet women and provide them with a platform that is easily accessible, not as expensive. And it’s just super easy for them to tap into while having the opportunity to access a co-working space where you can meet and network with other women while getting integrated with all of our trainings, professional development tools, and all of our events.” – Marilynn Joyner
This week on Startups in Stilettos:
- Marilynn shares where the idea for Her Workplace came from (2:48)
- Marilynn talks about the real estate aspect of Her Workplace (5:59)
- Marilynn discusses her biggest wins (9:52)
- Marilynn shares when she knew it was time to leave her job (12:07)
- Marilynn talks about the future of work (18:05)
- Jessica and Carlyn talk about their mishaps (20:25)
- Carlyn shares exciting news (25:29)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “It just got to the point where I was just getting frustrated with being one of the only women and seeing how many women dropped out of the workforce during the pandemic.” – Marilynn Joyner
- “I think flexibility is key. Employees need flexibility. I think that the nine to five Monday through Friday in the office is gone. I think that we’re moving towards a four day work week, similar to what some European countries have been testing and implementing.” – Marilynn Joyner
- “I’m most proud of my education. I’ve been in commercial real estate for almost 10 years. I got my masters from Georgetown University in real estate to just up my game and to learn financial modeling and to learn about investments from a landlord’s perspective. And then I went on to get my MBA from Columbia Business School.” – Marilynn Joyner
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Connect with Marilynn Joyner:
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts:
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
- Carlyn Bushman on Instagram
- Carlyn Bushman on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Carlyn Bushman here
Get Featured on Startups in Stilettos
Want a chance to be featured on Startups in Stilettos? We’re currently accepting applications from our Entreprenista League members to be featured on the show! Think of the Entreprenista League as your team members in what can be a lonely startup founder’s journey. You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded female startup founders who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website, social channels – and, of course, the Startups in Stilettos podcast – and so much MORE!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos, powered by the Entreprenista PodcastNetwork. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.