The Crowdfunding & PR Journey with Jill Apgar of Coco Beans
Jill Apgar is the founder of Coco Beans, a luxury bedding and sleepwear brand offering luxurious silk crib sheets and pillow cases using the world’s softest, most innovative fabrics that families can trust. The company is best known for their machine-washable, 100% silk crib sheets. Following a forced layoff from her corporate career in 2020, Jill launched her company with a desire to source the best crib sheet fabrics that not only felt luxurious to the skin, but also helped to reduce tangled hair for children and adults.
Jill joins us today to share what it was like to launch a luxury bedding and sleepwear company during a worldwide pandemic. She shares the initial steps she took to launch her company and why it’s important to learn from your mistakes and failures as well as your successes. We discuss how her personal pain point led to launching the company and the value of networking and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. Jill shares her experience with crowdfunding and how her products have evolved over the last two years. We also discuss tips for being ‘media-ready’ and ‘camera-ready’ as a new startup founder and how to craft your startup story to have the most impact.
“For 30 to 45 days, you’re selling. If you want to be successful at that – you need a strategy and marketing plan.” – Jill Apgar
This week on Startups in Stilettos:
- The initial steps Jill took to launch her business
- The value of networking, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, and keeping yourself accountable
- Bootstrapping the product development costs and how Jill financed the launch of her business
- The PR journey and how Jill promoted her product
- The value of joining a business community of like-minded entrepreneurs
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “You have to start somewhere.” – Jill Apgar
- “Have a day-by-day marketing strategy to get you through the crowdfunding campaign.” – Jill Apgar
- “Understand what you are inherently good at as an entrepreneur, and find people to fill the gaps.” – Jill Apgar
Connect with Jill Apgar:
- Coco Beans – use Promo Code: Entreprenista15 to get 15% off your first order!
- Coco Beans on LinkedIn
- Coco Beans on Instagram
- Coco Beans on Facebook
- Coco Beans on Twitter
- Jill Apgar on LinkedIn
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts:
- Stephanie Cartin on Instagram
- Stephanie Cartin on LinkedIn
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
Get Featured on Startups in Stilettos
Want a chance to be featured on Startups in Stilettos? We’re currently accepting applications from our Entreprenista League members to be featured on the show! Think of the Entreprenista League as your team members in what can be a lonely startup founder’s journey. You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded female startup founders who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website, social channels – and, of course, the Startups in Stilettos podcast – and so much MORE!
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos, powered by the Entreprenista PodcastNetwork. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.