Having The Right Business Partner with Cynthia Plotch and Jamie Norwood of Stix
Most women have struggled with embarrassment when buying feminine health products. Whether it be from the 16 year old male bagging your yeast infection cream at the supermarket or running into your boss when buying a pregnancy test, it’s bound to happen occasionally. Now there is a way to discreetly buy these products.
Today, we sit down with Cynthia Plotch and Jamie Norwood, co-founders of Stix, a company rooted in providing women a convenient, discreet, and judgment-free way to get the health products they need. They share how they prepared to quit their full-time jobs, how to decide on a manufacturer, how they learned the fundraising process, and so much more.
“We kind of would daydream about starting something together. I had no idea what that was going to be though until one day I was buying a pregnancy test. And I ran into my boyfriend’s mom, and called Jamie who at the time was my dear friend and dear coworker in tears. And honestly, then Stix was born.” – Cynthia Plotch
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- Jamie and Cynthia talk about if they knew they wanted to start their own company when they were younger (4:58)
- Jamie explains how they prepared to quit their full-time jobs to go all-in on Stix (7:50)
- Jamie talks about how to decide on a manufacturer (12:09)
- Cynthia discusses their fundraising experience (14:28)
- Jamie shares what it’s like building a team (21:05)
- James talks about the marketing strategy (25:45)
- Jamie discusses how they divide responsibilities (31:58)
- Rapid fire questions (34:06)
- Cynthia and Jamie explain how they talk care of themselves (35:49)
- Jamie and Cynthia share what being an Entreprenista means to them (41:45)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “I feel like it’s not that we want to start a company, but that we want to start Stix. That’s like an important distinction.” – Cynthia Plotch
- “We launched a waitlist for our pregnancy tests, which is kind of funny to think about a waitlist for a pregnancy test, but we did get I think like 500 signups on our waitlist, and that was enough of an indicator that we weren’t totally insane.” – Jamie Norwood
- “An intro from one of your current investors doesn’t mean very much. An intro from a founder in their portfolio means a whole ton. So that’s definitely an important thing.” – Cynthia Plotch
- “I get to work on things that I care really deeply about, and find a lot of, like, purpose and fulfillment through my work.” – Jamie Norwood
Connect with Cynthia Plotch and Jamie Norwood:
- Cynthia on LinkedIn
- Cynthia on Twitter
- Jamie on LinkedIn
- Jamie on Twitter
- Stix on Instagram
- Stix on Twitter
- Stix on TikTok
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.