Powering the Ethical Supply Chain with Jane Mosbacher Morris of TO THE MARKET
Jane Mosbacher Morris is the Founder and CEO of TO THE MARKET, a company that provides key solutions for the ethical manufacturing and sourcing of apparel, accessories, and home goods. Jane graduated with a degree in Foreign Service from Georgetown University and later served the U.S. Department of State as a counterterrorism advisor and a detailee to the Secretary’s Office of Global Women’s Issues. She also worked as the Director of Humanitarian Action for the McCain Institute and completed her Master of Business Administration degree at Columbia Business School. In addition to her leadership role at TO THE MARKET, Jane is a team member of the Council on Foreign Relations and sits on the Advisory Board of VF Corporation’s Responsible Sourcing Advisory Council.
Jane joins us today to discuss how TO THE MARKET empowers people and sustainability by revolutionizing the supply chain. She describes her entrepreneurial ventures as a child and explains how studying foreign service set her path to founding TO THE MARKET. She outlines the process she utilized to raise capital for her company and explains how she remained focused through the ups and downs of seeding. Jane also highlights the power of resilience and shares her advice on driving business growth.
“Your job is to be a leader of leaders. Enable your leadership team to be successful and ensure that they have what they need to meet their objectives.” – Jane Mosbacher Morris
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- Jane’s upbringing and her first entrepreneurial ventures as a child
- Her educational background and the inception of TO THE MARKET
- Jane’s first steps to developing her business idea for TO THE MARKET
- Revolutionizing supply chains for sustainability and how Jane did her market research
- Raising the pre-seed round for TO THE MARKET and some alternatives to accessing venture capital
- The pros and cons of being supported by venture capital
- Determining how much money she needed to raise during TO THE MARKET’s pre-seed round
- Remaining focused and positive through the challenges of raising capital
- How Jane felt when she got her first approval for investment
- TO THE MARKET’s business structure and vision for the retail manufacturing industry
- How TO THE MARKET is driving people’s empowerment and environmental sustainability
- How Entreprenistas can work with TO THE MARKET
- Guerrilla marketing and how Jane got her first clients for the company
- Her marketing strategies for attracting new clients
- Jane’s advice for developing tech and digitizing workflows from analog
- Her day-to-day work in TO THE MARKET and what it means to be a leader to leaders
- The value of culture and other key learnings in driving business growth
- How Jane balances her family and business
- The power of resilience and what it means to be an Entreprenista
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “95% of people you talk to will reject you, but it doesn’t mean you’re a bad entrepreneur.” – Jane Mosbacher Morris
- “TO THE MARKET’s vision is to change retail marketing, empower people, and protect the planet.” – Jane Mosbacher Morris
- “There continues to be a lot of pain that develops into scar tissue, but scar tissues make me more resilient and more capable of believing through difficult situations—now or in the future.” – Jane Mosbacher Morris
Connect with Jane Mosbacher Morris:
- TO THE MARKET
- Book: Buy the Change You Want to See: Use Your Purchasing Power to Make the World a Better Place
- TO THE MARKET on LinkedIn
- TO THE MARKET on Instagram
- TO THE MARKET on Facebook
- TO THE MARKET on Twitter
- Jane Mosbacher Morris on LinkedIn
- Jane Mosbacher Morris on Instagram
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Introducing… Startups in Stilettos Podcast
Have you recently started a business? Are you considering taking the leap to start? Do you find yourself alone and overwhelmed in the whirlwind of early challenges in your entreprenista journey?
Then our newest podcast – brought to you by the Entreprenista Network – is for you.
The Startups in Stilettos Podcast helps you learn what it takes to grow your startup from your peers in the startup world and those who are in your shoes… or your stilettos, if you will. Each week, you’ll hear from startup founders from the Entreprenista League who are in the trenches and building their businesses from the ground up.
Learn more about the Startups in Stilettos Podcast by visiting www.entreprenista.com/startupsinstilettos/ and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts..
Startups in Stilettos launches on March 8, 2022 – on International Women’s Day. We can’t wait to share everything we have in store with you.
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and for more exclusive content, tips, and insight, join the Entreprenistas Facebook group and visit the SocialFly website.