Word-of-Mom: The Power of a Grassroots Approach in Building Brand Love with Sandra Abdallah-Kohn of MAM Baby
November 24, 2021
Sandra Abdallah-Kohn is the CEO of MAM Baby, an organization dedicated to providing babies with the best start in life while making parents’ lives easier. Sandy brings more than 20 years of senior management expertise from working with several brands prior to MAM Baby. One of these brands is L’Oreal, where she worked for almost 15 years and served as Vice President for Business Development and Ecommerce and Multi-Channel before moving on to become the Senior Vice President and General Manager of Centric Brands in 2018.
Sandy joins us today to discuss how MAM Baby is leading the baby category revolution by making the consumer journey easier. She explains how MAM Baby is striving to give the category a “makeover” and build a community around their products. She shares why she trusts intuition in business and what it’s like to navigate the day-to-day of a CEO. She also reveals three ways to shift your organization’s culture for the better and her advice on breaking into a consumer product category for the first time.
“The number one source of information for moms is other moms. It requires a grassroots approach, and connecting authentically can refer your products to other moms.” – Sandra Abdallah-Kohn
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- Sandy’s career journey, from selling a cigarette brand and working at L’Oreal to becoming the CEO of MAM Baby
- Why Sandy focused on people and culture on her first few days as the CEO of MAM Baby
- What surprised Sandy about the baby category
- What she learned from working at L’Oreal about being authentic at the workplace
- Sandy’s advice on changing the culture of an organization
- The value of a grassroots marketing approach and building brand love
- Why Sandy dislikes the CEO title
- How Sandy evaluates job applicants to see if they’re a culture fit
- MAM Baby’s “Path to Parenthood” campaign
- The rigorous process MAM Baby products go under to ensure safety and quality
- MAM Baby’s market research efforts and how to break into a new consumer product category
- The power of “word-of-mom” and Sandy’s insight on reaching out and connecting with mom consumers
- Why mom influencers on social media are powerful for marketing efforts
- The reason Sandy believes in work/life “flow” and not “balance”
- Building trust and connection with your team while working remotely
- What being an Entreprenista means for Sandy
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “The baby category needs a remodel. It’s hard for a mom to figure out what she needs, and we need to help her decide better.” – Sandra Abdallah-Kohn
- “It takes every person to drive change; you need to articulate the mission of the organization and lead by example.” – Sandra Abdallah-Kohn
- “The future of ads is influencer content—it’s so much more authentic.” – Sandra Abdallah-Kohn
Connect with Sandra Abdallah-Kohn:
- MAM Baby
- MAM Baby on LinkedIn
- MAM Baby on Instagram
- MAM Baby on Facebook
- MAM Baby on YouTube
- Sandra Abdallah-Kohn on LinkedIn
Help More Female Entrepreneurs & Leaders Through the IFundWomen Campaign
We are thrilled to announce that our iFundWomen campaign is now live! We have supported so many women through Entreprenista, and we’re excited to share this opportunity with you to support our campaign and continue to help women business owners and leaders.
Our funding goal is $100,000 – which means that every dollar counts. The best part? We’ve created incredible rewards that will help you as part of our campaign!
When you pledge to the iFundWomen Campaign, you’ll receive:
- An exclusive Entreprenista League Membership rate
- Dedicated Instagram and website features to promote you and your business
- Interviews on the Entreprenista podcast and our new podcast that’s launching in 2022 – Startups In Stilettos
- One-on-one sessions with Stephanie or Courtney
- …and so much more
Visit iFundWomen.com/Projects/Entreprenista to contribute any amount you feel comfortable with.
Seriously. Every dollar, every share, and every mention on social media to your network counts and is beyond appreciated. Thank you for supporting us and women everywhere.
Today’s episode is brought to you by: ANISA Beauty Brushes
ANISA Beauty understands that what touches your skin matters. ANISA designs each brush through cruelty-free, vegan and sustainably responsible practices to elevate your skincare and makeup routines from hands-on to hands-free. The innovative design of these skin care and makeup brushes offer versatile application and fiber flexibility to achieve a great look – each and every time.
Head over to ANISABeauty.com and use the code Entreprenista50 at checkout to unlock the power of self-expression today.
Entreprenista has also teamed up with ANISA Beauty for an exciting giveaway! Enter to win the entire ANISA beauty collection and an Entreprenista League one-year membership! Visit Entreprenista.com/ANISABeauty to enter by December 15.
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.