The Power of ‘No’ with Sam Rudolph of Babyation
June 7, 2022
Sam Rudolph is the CEO and Co-Founder of Babyation – a venture-backed startup with a mission of “creating game-changing products and judgment-free conversations to build a community that supports, elevates, and unites women through all the roles they juggle – including being a mom”. Sam graduated from The Wharton School with a Bachelor of Economics before starting her career where virtually “every job [she] had didn’t exist before she had it”. It was this entrepreneurial spirit that guided her into starting her own business.
On this episode, we talk to Sam about the inspiration behind Babyation, how she was able to turn an idea into a business, and what valuable lessons she’s learned on her entrepreneurial journey.
“I don’t let the ‘no’ define me. I know what I’m doing. I know that not everybody’s gonna like me. I know that not everybody’s gonna like my business. I’m 100% okay with that. You have to know that you’re going to be told no, but you have to prepare for how you’re going to handle the no.” – Samantha Rudolph
This week on Startups in Stilettos:
- What inspired Sam to start Babyation (1:16)
- What Sam’s career looked like before starting Babyation (3:41)
- Sam’s foray into entrepreneurship (5:01)
- How Sam was able to juggle work and starting a business (6:18)
- The steps that Sam took when starting to build her business (7:36)
- Sam’s grant application process (8:58)
- How moving in with her parents helped drive the success of her business (10:11)
- The approach Sam took towards her first investors’ pitch (11:19)
- Why Sam’s Kickstarter Campaign experience was the most stressful 30 days of her life (13:16)
- Sam’s advice on crowdfunding (16:35)
- Why Sam loves fundraising (19:40)
- Our advice for Sam on how to build a social media strategy (24:33)
- Our non-traditional PR advice for Sam (26:46)
- Sam’s advice for fellow entrepreneurs (28:17)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Every job I had didn’t exist before I had it. And I loved that. And I quickly realized that at some point, I wanted to start my own company.” – Sam Rudolph
- “I get so many people saying I want to start my own business, because I can control my schedule. Newsflash, it’s the other way, right, when you’re not working on your business, your business doesn’t get worked on.” – Sam Rudolph
- “If someone is not telling you, no, you’re not asking enough people, like it’s just it’s that simple. “ – Sam Rudolph
Connect with Diana Arango:
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts:
- Stephanie Cartin on Instagram
- Stephanie Cartin on LinkedIn
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
Get Featured on Startups in Stilettos
Want a chance to be featured on Startups in Stilettos? We’re currently accepting applications from our Entreprenista League members to be featured on the show! Think of the Entreprenista League as your team members in what can be a lonely startup founder’s journey. You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded female startup founders who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website, social channels – and, of course, the Startups in Stilettos podcast – and so much MORE!
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos, powered by the Entreprenista PodcastNetwork. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.