Breaking Out of the Echo Chamber with Sophie Beren of The Conversationalist
September 19, 2022
In today’s day and age, it’s hard to have honest conversations with people who have a different belief than you. But it’s so important. Having conversations with people different than you helps you understand their perspective AND it helps build community.
In today’s episode, we hear from Sophie Beren, CEO of The Conversationalist, a nonpartisan education community that has the goal of helping people break out of their echo chambers. Sophie shares with us how The Conversationalist started, her hiring process, how to have hard conversations, and so much more. We say it all the time, but this is truly the episode you don’t want to miss!
“It kind of hit me all at once that the thing I resented so much growing up in Kansas being the odd one out, the different one, was actually the thing I was taking for granted my entire life. And I realized in that moment that the meaning of life is actually to be surrounded by people who are different from you, who will push you to grow, to consider new perspectives, and to be part of a larger whole.” – Sophie Beren
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- Sophie shares the original roadmap for her life and what she’s learned along the way (4:56)
- Sophie talks about her first entrepreneurial endeavor and how it shaped The Conversationalist (9:53)
- What The Conversationalist started it as and how it’s evolved (14:41)
- How Sophie knew to make data driven decisions for her community-based company (18:31)
- Building an internal team when you don’t know where to start (21:42)
- Sophie shares her hiring process and the question she asks to find the right team members [it’s a good one] (24:39)
- Rapid fire questions round (34:44)
- Sophie shares the moment she’s most proud of (41:51)
- Sophie gives tips for having difficult conversations (45:00)
- Sophie talks about her go-to mantra [this is THE ONE] (47:35)
- What being an Entreprenista means to Sophie (51:25)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “That realization led me to take pen to paper and start writing a column about why our generation needs to break open our echo chambers.” – Sophie Beren
- “I think the biggest learning lesson was making sure that whatever I create can be this living, breathing organism that should always shape shift to best impact the people you’re trying to serve.” – Sophie Beren
- “Businesses are not overnight successes. But you can expedite your success if you’re willing to lean into the challenges when they first arise.” – Sophie Beren
Connect with Sophie Beren:
- Sophie Beren on Instagram
- Sophie Beren on LinkedIn
- Sophie Beren on Twitter
- Sophie Beren on TikTok
- The Conversationalist on Instagram
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.