Karen Skinner’s Innovative Business Systems For The Busy and Burned Out
Karen Skinner spent 20 years adhering to the work culture within the legal field before she finally had enough. The crazy hours, minimal sleep, missed events, and ever-looming sense of exhaustion left Karen convinced that there had to be another way to practice law and still lead an enjoyable life successfully.
In today’s episode, Carlyn sits down with Karen Skinner, coach facilitator, co-founder and CEO of Gimbal-Lean Practice Management Advisors, and a Lean Six Sigma blackbelt. She shares with us her vision for new business systems that allow for better delegation, how she is teaching lawyers and other entrepreneurs how to build these systems, her secrets to working more effectively, and much more!
“Law School teaches you how to practice law and it creates great lawyers, but it doesn’t teach lawyers how to run businesses. And on the other hand, almost all lawyers are running their own businesses.” – Karen Skinner
This week on Startups in Stilettos:
- Karen discusses the legal field and the purpose behind their business (2:20)
- Karen explains her path to entrepreneurship (6:34)
- Karen talks what she didn’t know at the onset of building their business (12:51)
- Karen shares her proudest moments along the journey so far (17:31)
- What Karen would want you to know by the 8th floor of an elevator ride (21:21)
- Karen shares an exercise from her life planning workshop (22:53)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “If you can find ways to do that work better, faster, cheaper than you have time. And that time, you can use for other things that are more valuable to you, or that are at least as valuable to you.” – Karen Skinner
- “We didn’t know how hard change was going to be. Because essentially, you’re right, we’re disruptors. And I spend a lot of time going into firms and talking to lawyers about how they can do things differently. But this is a profession that’s so anchored in tradition and precedent that getting people to do things differently is really hard.” – Karen Skinner
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts:
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
- Carlyn Bushman on Instagram
- Carlyn Bushman on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Carlyn Bushman here
Get Featured on Startups in Stilettos
Want a chance to be featured on Startups in Stilettos? We’re currently accepting applications from our Entreprenista League members to be featured on the show! Think of the Entreprenista League as your team members in what can be a lonely startup founder’s journey. You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded female startup founders who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website, social channels – and, of course, the Startups in Stilettos podcast – and so much MORE!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos, powered by the Entreprenista PodcastNetwork. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.