How She Led Her Events Company to 600% Growth Against All Odds with Lee Rubin
When Lee launched the beta for her event-planning business in January 2020, she couldn’t have known just how big of a risk she was taking. In March 2020, it was clear that her company would have to pivot, Lee got to work turning these lemons into a wholesale supply worth of lemonade. Her secret? Well, she says focusing on the sheer excitement and thrill of being an entrepreneur building something from scratch carried her through any and all times of destabilizing uncertainty. What may have looked like the end for her business was really just the beginning of a major breakthrough.
Today, we sit down with Entreprenista 100 Award winner Lee Rubin, the CEO, and founder of Confetti, an online platform that empowers leaders to discover, plan, and book engaging team events. Confetti functions as an amazing tool used by organizations like Hubspot, Netflix, Linkedin, and Shopify. Lee shares with us her tips for finding a technical co-founder, how she managed to scale her business 600% during a pandemic, Lee’s invaluable advice on how to approach raising capital for your business, and so much more!
“As a female entrepreneur, investors get really into the nitty gritty of all the numbers, you have to have an answer to every question. You need to be prepared for everything and come out of every single conversation with an investor understanding which questions did they ask, and how do I perfect it a little bit better over time…but confidence, confidence, confidence. Confidence is the number one thing that’s going to get somebody to write you a check.” – Lee Rubin
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- Lee shares how far back her entrepreneurial spirit goes (2:39)
- Lee’s first steps toward building her business (4:44)
- Lee provides an overview of her career journey (7:50)
- Lee discusses adjusting her business online (12:07)
- Lee shares her tips for anyone just getting started (14:32)
- Lee talks what to keep in mind when structuring an agreement with a co-founder (16:32)
- Lee discusses finding the right technical founder (21:15)
- Lee talks raising capital and shares her fundraising journey (25:25)
- Lee’s strategy for meeting with investors (34:31)
- Lee shares more about Confetti and the mission behind the company (39:29
- How Lee landed her biggest clients (43:52)
- Lee’s craziest and proudest moments since starting her business (45:38)
- What being an Entreprenista means to Lee (47:26)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Ideas aren’t worth anything. It’s really the execution and the hard work. There’s so much more beyond the idea itself “ – Lee Rubin
- “If you can get $1 from your customers, metaphorically but ideally more than $1 for whatever product or service that you have, you’ll know that you’ll be on to something” – Lee Rubin
- “Everything’s really grounded on memorable experiences, and getting your team to feel something and building a layer of empathy with one another that gets them to just like who they’re working with a little bit more because so many of us just hate Mondays. And it’s just a sad story that I wanted to change as I put my impact on this world.” – Lee Rubin
For $50 off your first booking with Confetti, use code “ENTREPRENISTA50”
Connect with Lee:
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.