How Renata Black Is Empowering Women All Around the World With EBY
No one understands how rejection is simply redirection better than Renata. Upon graduating from one of the nation’s top journalism schools, Renata was devastated to find out she had failed to land her dream job. So instead, she traveled the world and discovered a fulfilling opportunity to provide women with the necessary tools to empower themselves. Financially and aesthetically.
Today, we sit down with Renata Black, co-founder of EBY, a lingerie brand that is elevating women around the world out of poverty using microfinance. She shares how rediscovering the lost art of seduction along her travels led to a life-changing a-ha moment, how she got connected with Sofia Vergara, the learning lessons from her Entreprenista journey, why she values influencer marketing, and so much more!
“You have to have really thick skin and not buy into the narrative of, oh, only 2% of VC funding goes to women, and even less than that goes into BIPOC. Yeah, sure. I’m a Hispanic woman, of course, yes, but it does no good for me to believe that. I have to do the impossible. “ – Renata Black
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- Renata discusses her childhood and the unrelenting hunger to succeed (2:06)
- Renata talks about the path that led her to starting EBY (3:33)
- Renata defines microfinance and elaborates on its significance (5:30)
- Renata shares her inspiration for creating EBY and her first steps for launching (7:12)
- Renata discusses her biggest learning lessons (13:26)
- Renata shares the moment it all started to click (17:09)
- Renata explains influencer marketing and how it is benefitting EBY (20:30)
- Renata’s secret to raising over $10 million in venture capital (26:10)
- Renata talks about understanding the ‘why’ behind the ‘no’s’ (29:59)
- Renata discusses balancing business and navigating motherhood (32:08)
- Renata shares tips for better time management (37:12)
- What Renata looks for in future employees (40:40)
- What being an Entreprenista means to Renata (44:48)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Time kills deals. If you don’t create urgency if you don’t create FOMO, it’s gonna die. If once it’s dragging and dragged out, it’s basically dead. So be strong enough to give it a deadline“ – Renata Black
- “women have proven statistically to be the best investment. “ – Renata Black
- “I think that’s the thing about entrepreneurship, you have to be really open to the circumstances that lead you to a certain point.” – Renata Black
- “I would just get up and do it all over again. And I would just be relentless. And I think that’s my background; being relentless. I grew up having to be relentless. Everything I’ve ever done has been relentless” – Renata Black
Connect with Renata Black:
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.