Getting Your Business Off The Ground with Alix Mane
With 20 years of on-camera experience, Alix has become a master at showing her clients how they can be the most beautiful versions of themselves while simultaneously curating an experience they will never forget. As Alix’s makeup and hair artistry grew to be in higher demand, it was crucial she learned how to manage a team just as dedicated to those details that leave lasting impressions – But most importantly, knows how to handle the off-screen drama we all face in business.
Today, we sit down with Alix Mane, Lead Colorist and Owner of Mane & Company, a full-service salon with locations in New York, New York, and San Antonio, Texas. Alix has managed beauty teams and their campaigns for national broadcasts, major motion pictures, and is also a published author dedicated to establishing genuine connections with each of her clients. She shares with us how she got started with her salon, why she finds management to be one of the hardest parts of her job, the question she asks everyone that sits in her chair, her keys to handling difficult clients, and so much more!
“It’s always so interesting, where beauty has taken me and the opportunities that it has offered me. So when you have an idea or a talent, and you share it, and you embark on the journey of having your own business, you don’t know where it’s going to take you. It does grow and sometimes it grows a little bigger than you” – Alix Mane
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level, join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
This week’s takeaways from Entreprenista:
- How Alix got started in her business (0:56)
- Alix’s decision to take her business to the next level (5:06)
- What Alix wished she knew before opening a salon (15:01)
- Where Alix finds the best advice as a leader and company owner (22:35)
- The business tools and solutions that have helped Alix grow her business (30:01)
- The craziest thing that’s happened to Alix since starting her business (32:30)
- How Alix stays level-headed through the trials and challenges of her business (37:42)
- The compliment that has stuck with Alix through the years (41:09)
- What being an Entreprenista means to Alix (49:12)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “I think the best businesses grow organically because you’re able to truly, truly connect with each person, and truly connect with the consumer and also truly connect with yourself as a business and see what your needs are.” – Alix Mane
- “You have to invest your time in the people that are in your company.” – Alix Mane
- “Now I’m able to determine what is a fault of my own and what is not something that I’m going to internalize, because you do feel like a failure, when somebody leaves, you know, especially with my type of business. My type of business is not like, ‘Oh, you were sitting at a computer, you were making, 12 or 14 bucks an hour’. That’s not what it is…These are passionate people, and this is their career and their passion and I’m mentoring them. And it’s like a family. So it’s a little deeper than that. The connection is so much deeper.” – Alix Mane
- “Whether it’s in my salon or in a coffee shop, there is no difference in the sense of customer service… in the sense of like, taste, smell, sight, sound, like all those things are so important because they leave lasting impressions. That’s how people really know your brand.” – Alix Mane
This episode was made possible by our friends at Square, who are passionate about empowering women to Just Get Started with their business idea. Square is offering Entreprenista listeners 20% off your first POS hardware device. Click here for more.
Connect with Alix:
If you’re looking to take your business to the next level:
Join our Entreprenista League community of women founders! You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels, and MORE!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.