Digitizing Art For A Business with Sally King McBride of The Letter Nest
When Sally’s friends and family started having children, she looked for gifts that would be meaningful and lasting. As an artist, she decided to create watercolor name paintings. Soon, the commissions started flooding in and she had a proof of concept for a business.
In today’s episode, we sit down with Sally King McBride, founder of The Letter Nest, a brand of educational and elevated alphabet art. She shares her biggest wins, how her parents fostered her abilities, the mission behind The Letter Nest, and so much more
“My parents always treated my artwork very seriously. And as an academic course for much of my schooling, and it was never thought of as ‘Oh, that’s her side hustle,’ or, ‘Oh, that’s her hobby.’ I can’t stand that word. This was always my occupation. I treated it that way. And so do they.” – Sally King McBride
This week on Startups in Stilettos:
- Sally tells us what she didn’t know before launching her business (3:09)
- Sally shares her biggest wins (5:11)
- Sally discusses how she knew to go full-time with the Letter Nest (7:30)
- Sally shares what her parents did to set her on the Entreprenista path (12:10)
- Sally goes in-depth about the interpersonal skills she has learned (15:29)
- Sally discusses the mission behind her business (17:27)
- Sally shares where she gets her inspiration from (20:11)
- Jess talks about how much free content to give away to your audience (23:02)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “I took my first commission for professional painting when I was still in high school.” – Sally King McBride
- “My work is as much about the teaching as it is about the joy, and they have to go hand in hand or you will not get the child’s engagement.” – Sally King McBride
- “There is a litmus test for whether there can be a full alphabet around something.” – Sally King McBride
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Connect with Sally King McBride:
- The Letter Nest on Instagram
- The Letter Nest on Pinterest
- The Letter Nest on TikTok
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts:
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
- Carlyn Bushman on Instagram
- Carlyn Bushman on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Carlyn Bushman here
Get Featured on Startups in Stilettos
Want a chance to be featured on Startups in Stilettos? We’re currently accepting applications from our Entreprenista League members to be featured on the show! Think of the Entreprenista League as your team members in what can be a lonely startup founder’s journey. You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded female startup founders who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website, social channels – and, of course, the Startups in Stilettos podcast – and so much MORE!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos, powered by the Entreprenista PodcastNetwork. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.