Building Your Brand with Kelsey Kloss
Before Kelsey became an entrepreneur, she was a journalist and in-house editor for national media brands like Elle, Good Housekeeping, and Reading Digest. It was during this time Kelsey learned the power of proper storytelling and which kinds of narratives that brands can lean into in order to connect to their consumer. Kelsey later identified a journalism vs. PR and editorial vs. marketing disconnect in how companies were attempting to tell their stories on social media. So when the pandemic struck and began to impact her flow of income, Kelsey took a leap of faith and began seeking to bridge this gap through the development of her company.
In today’s episode, we sit down with Kelsey Kloss, CEO of Kloss Creatives, a PR and social media company that focuses on elevating brands as industry thought leaders through strategic storytelling and narrative building. She shares with us her journey to becoming an Entreprenista, what she wishes we knew before starting a business, why telling a compelling story with your brand matters, tips on how to build a press portfolio, the keys to positioning yourself as a thought leader in your industry and much more!
“I think sometimes there’s this pressure to find your niche, even if it hasn’t come organically quite yet. But I’m glad that we didn’t try and force that. As I worked with clients. And as we grow our team, we naturally found what works best.” – Kelsey Kloss
This week on Startups in Stilettos:
- Kelsey’s motivation for starting her business (2:40)
- How Kelsey’s marriage of both her background in journalism and PR helped create her agency (4:35)
- Kelsey shares how she initially experimented with her company (6:25)
- Kelsey discusses finding her clients and working within specialized industries (7:59)
- Kelsey breaks down the process for working with her agency (8:57)
- Kelsey’s view on press right now and positioning yourself as an industry thought leader (11:08)
- Kelsey shares the key to getting press placements (16:03)
- Kelsey’s wish to connect to her fellow Entreprenistas (18:53)
- The beauty of working with an agency (20:15)
- Stephanie and Jess talk the benefits of joining the Entreprenista community (21:58)
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “You don’t have to force your niche. You don’t have to figure it out from the get-go. I’m really glad that our team tried a little bit of everything and saw what organically became our niche.” – Kelsey Kloss
- “No matter how strong of a relationship you have with a journalist, no matter how many times you take them out to lunch or send them free samples, they can’t write about something that won’t benefit their audience, or they can’t produce a segment that doesn’t benefit their audience.” – Kelsey Kloss
- “There were frustrations from both journalists and PR pros from opposite sides of the newsroom table, there were disconnects in how companies were telling their story on social media where maybe it was coming across 100% salesy, and they were forgetting about that more narrative part of their story that kind of comes into play when you’re working in a more editorial environment. So bridging that gap is something that I wanted to do with Kloss Creatives. “ – Kelsey Kloss
Join the Entreprenista League today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Connect with Kelsey:
Connect with your Startups in Stilettos hosts:
- Jessica Abo on Instagram
- Jessica Abo on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Jessica Abo here
- Carlyn Bushman on Instagram
- Carlyn Bushman on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Carlyn Bushman here
Get Featured on Startups in Stilettos
Want a chance to be featured on Startups in Stilettos? We’re currently accepting applications from our Entreprenista League members to be featured on the show! Think of the Entreprenista League as your team members in what can be a lonely startup founder’s journey. You’ll have access to a private community of like-minded female startup founders who are making an impact in business every day, special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, the opportunity to have your story featured on our website, social channels – and, of course, the Startups in Stilettos podcast – and so much MORE!
Grow Your Startup with Startups in Stilettos
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Startups in Stilettos, powered by the Entreprenista PodcastNetwork. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more startup founders, like you, and have a chance to win a one-on-one mentor and strategy session with Stephanie Cartin.
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. And for even more exclusive content and information – and to get access to the 8 Secrets to Success in Your Business video course and worksheet – visit our website.