Building Organic Traction through Passion and Social Support with Carolyn Aronson of It’s A 10 Haircare
Carolyn Aronson is the Founder, CEO, and sole owner of It’s a 10 Haircare, one of the few independent, Latina-owned professional haircare brands in the world. A self-made entrepreneur, Carolyn worked as a stylist and salon owner for more than 20 years before founding It’s a 10 Haircare and continues to hold cosmetology licenses. As CEO of the company, Carolyn is dedicated to growing It’s a 10 Haircare’s portfolio to a full, head-to-toe experience. She recently released It’s a 10 Hair Tools and Ex10sions, a professional line of tape-in extensions. In 2020, Carolyn announced the launch of Be a 10 Cosmetics, the company’s expansion into the makeup industry.
Carolyn joins me today to discuss how working as a hairstylist inspired her to launch and build It’s a 10 Haircare organically. She describes how she gave away free samples in the early days of the company to get the word out and how experiencing failure with her first business motivated her to keep going. She shares tips on buying out your business partner and explains why shareholder and operating agreements are essential. She also underscores the power of organic traction and passionate influencers and highlights the value of knowing your customers’ needs.
“I believe in having people try, use, and love products and show it on YouTube. Organic passion behind products is the best way to drive people to your website.” – Carolyn Aronson
This week on SocialFly’s Entreprenista Podcast:
- How Carolyn’s frustration with the hair product industry led to her founding It’s a 10
- The lessons she learned from failing her first business
- Why Carolyn didn’t have any qualms about starting another business after the failure of the first
- How contracts and shareholder agreements can help as a guide through challenging times
- Her tips for buying out a business partner
- Carolyn’s vision for the future of It’s a 10
- How having an Ecommerce platform allowed It’s a 10 to weather COVID-19
- Marketing tips for driving traffic to an Ecommerce site
- What it’s like to be a woman of color in a male-dominated industry
- The value of outsourcing and subcontracting
- Carolyn’s process for conceptualizing a product line and bringing them to life
- Her advice for women who want to start a product-based business
- The secrets to mastering the art of prioritization
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “You don’t have to do it all by yourself. Find companies and vendors, and have multiple services under one roof so you aren’t scattering as much.” – Carolyn Aronson
- “Anytime you’re in business with someone, it’s crucial to have solid contracts and agreements. They can guide you on what should happen when others want something else to happen.” – Carolyn Aronson
- “When things get tough in business, network. Pick up the phone and ask for help, advice, and connections. That’s what helped me through hard times.” – Carolyn Aronson
Connect with Carolyn Aronson:
- It’s a 10 Haircare
- It’s a 10 Haircare on LinkedIn
- It’s a 10 Haircare on Instagram
- It’s a 10 Haircare on Facebook
- It’s a 10 Haircare on Twitter
- It’s a 10 Haircare on YouTube
- It’s a 10 Haircare on Pinterest
- Carolyn Aronson on LinkedIn
- Carolyn Aronson on Instagram
Join the Entreprenista League!
Hey Entreprenistas! We’re launching the Entreprenista League, our very own members platform and community just for you!
We listened to your feedback and the support you’re looking for to start and build your business, and we’re here to provide you with all of the resources you’ll need!
As part of the Entreprenista League, you’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day. You’ll find special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, and the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista league today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Free Virtual Event Series with Shopify
Do you have an e-commerce business or are you thinking about launching one? We are excited to announce that we’re launching a free virtual event series with Shopify to give small business owners the tools and motivation they need to get their e-commerce store up and running.
By joining us at Entreprenista on Shopify, you will learn…
- How to launch your Shopify store
- The best tips for SEO
- Digital marketing strategies to grow your customer base
- Hear real case studies from successful entrepreneurs using Shopify
- And much, much more…
The virtual events will be hosted by experts that range from marketing, sourcing, merchandising, shipping, and procurement to help you connect all of the dots to start a successful online business,
Shopify is also giving entreprenistas a 30-day free trial to launch your online store. When you attend the events, you’ll also be entered to win a free website store build valued at over $2,500!
Head over to www.entreprenista.com/shopify to get your free trial and join the Entreprenista on Shopify community.
Say “Hello!” To DigiCards™
Are you ready to take your virtual team meetings to the next level? Are you tired of yelling “You’re on mute!” at your computer screen and letting the important points you were trying to make get lost?
If you’re tired of leading unproductive, distraction-filled team meetings, then it’s time for you to say “Hello!” to DigiCards. Each pack of virtual meeting cards include 20 color-coded professional cards designed to streamline your meeting communications while allowing each meeting to create an opportunity for collaboration and fun.
Say “Goodbye!” to waving your arms, being ignored, and frantically typing in the chat.
Start your next virtual meeting with DigiCards – the virtual meeting cards for entreprenistas.
To grab your deck of DigiCards and bring fun, engagement, and collaboration back into your team meetings, visit www.hellodigicards.com. Use the coupon code: Entreprenista10 to receive 10% off your first order.
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Apple Podcasts | TuneIn | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart Radio | GooglePlay
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and for more exclusive content, tips, and insight, join the Entreprenistas Facebook group and visit the SocialFly website.
Leave a Comment