Advancing Diversity in the Workplace with Shelley Zalis of The Female Quotient
Shelley Zalis is the Founder and CEO of The Female Quotient, an organization dedicated to the business of equality and advancing diversity and inclusion. As CEO of The Female Quotient, Shelley strives to unite leaders to advance equality across industries and close the gaps that continue to impede women in parity, pathway, pipeline, and policy. She is also the Co-Founder of #SeeHer, a movement led by the Association of National Advertisers to increase the accurate representation of women and girls in advertising and media. Prior to her work with The Female Quotient, Shelley was the Founder and CEO of the research company, OTX, until she sold it to Ipsos OTX in 2010, where she also served as CEO from 2010 to 2015.
Shelley joins me today to discuss how she and The Female Quotient are making an impact every day in the business of equality and advancing diversity in the workplace. She shares what inspired her to launch The Female Quotient and explains why she consciously decided not to raise funds for the organization. She describes how she pivoted her business during the pandemic, leading to over 700 virtual events. She also underscores the values that make the best leaders, highlights the #SeeHer movement and what it means to her, and discusses why equality never sleeps.
“If we want to create true change, we can’t just change the equation with the visibility of women. We also need to close the gaps. And to close those gaps, we need to be conscious leaders.” – Shelley Zalis
“The best leaders of today are those that have the feminine values of empathy, compassion, and nurturing.” – Shelley Zalis
This week on SocialFly’s Entreprenista Podcast:
- The beginnings of Shelley’s journey as an Entreprenista
- The exit process and how Shelley sold her first company, OTX, to Ipsos in 2010
- How she supported her son’s hockey game while in the middle of selling her company
- Shelley’s advice for women selling their companies
- The importance of knowing your worth
- Hiring for lifestyle, culture, and life “stage”
- Feminine values and the qualities of the best business leaders today
- The founding of The Girls’ Lounge and how it transformed to The Equality Lounge and eventually The Female Quotient
- The power of the pack and the value of women collaborating with other women
- What it takes to close the gender gap and create change
- The Female Quotient’s initial business model and how it evolved over time
- Why Shelley consciously decided not to raise money for The Girls’ Lounge
- What the Female Quotient offers for women all over the world
- How the organization virtually migrated amid COVID-19
- The #SeeHer Movement and advocating for womens’ visibility in media, entertainment, and advertising
- Shelley’s remote working and Zoom best practices
- Creating the perfect business pitch and getting the “Yes!”
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “If your employees can have a full life where work is just one element, you’ll see that your business will be more successful on so many levels.” – Shelley Zalis
- “Never underestimate the power of emotion. Lead with authenticity.” – Shelley Zalis
- “Stay you and be you. Don’t conform to legacy and leadership, for they only perpetuate the status quo.” – Shelley Zalis
Connect with Shelley Zalis:
- The Female Quotient
- The Female Quotient on LinkedIn
- The Female Quotient on Instagram
- The Female Quotient on Facebook
- The Female Quotient on Twitter
- The Female Quotient on YouTube
- Shelley Zalis on LinkedIn
Join the Entreprenista League!
Hey Entreprenistas! We’re launching the Entreprenista League, our very own members platform and community just for you!
We listened to your feedback and the support you’re looking for to start and build your business, and we’re here to provide you with all of the resources you’ll need!
As part of the Entreprenista League, you’ll have access to a private community of like-minded Entreprenistas who are making an impact in business every day. You’ll find special discounts on business products and solutions, exclusive content, private events, and the opportunity to have your story featured on our website and social channels!
Whether you’re looking to scale your existing business and want to make the right connections, or you’re thinking about finally taking the leap to launch your business, we’re here to give you access to a community of women who will celebrate your every step, and with whom you can share the candid reality of building a business from scratch.
Join the Entreprenista league today at entreprenista.com/join. We can’t wait to welcome you, support you, and be part of your business journey!
Free Virtual Event Series with Shopify
Do you have an e-commerce business or are you thinking about launching one? We are excited to announce that we’re launching a free virtual event series with Shopify to give small business owners the tools and motivation they need to get their e-commerce store up and running.
By joining us at Entreprenista on Shopify, you will learn…
- How to launch your Shopify store
- The best tips for SEO
- Digital marketing strategies to grow your customer base
- Hear real case studies from successful entrepreneurs using Shopify
- And much, much more…
The virtual events will be hosted by experts that range from marketing, sourcing, merchandising, shipping, and procurement to help you connect all of the dots to start a successful online business,
Shopify is also giving entreprenistas a 30-day free trial to launch your online store. When you attend the events, you’ll also be entered to win a free website store build valued at over $2,500!
Head over to www.entreprenista.com/shopify to get your free trial and join the Entreprenista on Shopify community.
Say “Hello!” To DigiCards™
Are you ready to take your virtual team meetings to the next level? Are you tired of yelling “You’re on mute!” at your computer screen and letting the important points you were trying to make get lost?
If you’re tired of leading unproductive, distraction-filled team meetings, then it’s time for you to say “Hello!” to DigiCards. Each pack of virtual meeting cards include 20 color-coded professional cards designed to streamline your meeting communications while allowing each meeting to create an opportunity for collaboration and fun.
Say “Goodbye!” to waving your arms, being ignored, and frantically typing in the chat.
Start your next virtual meeting with DigiCards – the virtual meeting cards for entreprenistas.
To grab your deck of DigiCards and bring fun, engagement, and collaboration back into your team meetings, visit www.hellodigicards.com. Use the coupon code: Entreprenista10 to receive 10% off your first order.
Become An Entreprenista!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of The Entreprenista Podcast – the most fun business meeting for female founders, by female founders. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes across social media to help us reach more amazing female founders, like you.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and for more exclusive content, tips, and insight, join the Entreprenistas Facebook group and visit the SocialFly website.