Confidence Has No Finish Line
At Ladies Who Brand, my team and I deliver clarity, confidence, and credibility so you can be the best brand you can be. This post is all about the confidence factor – what it is and how to get more of it, so we can hear you roar in a friendly, powerful way!
If you want to have that unstoppable sense of fearlessness and knowingness that you can do it, no matter what challenge shows up, I invite you to read on and of course, take action!
I love starting with definitions because it sets the baseline understanding so we can move forward and explore ways to gain more confidence to increase your happiness, competence and of course, brand value.
What is confidence?
– Confidence is generally described as a state of being certain either that a hypothesis or prediction is correct or that a chosen course of action is the best or most effective.
– Self-confidence is having confidence in oneself. Self-confidence does not necessarily imply ‘self-belief’ or a belief in one’s ability to succeed.
– Arrogance or hubris in this comparison, is having unmerited confidence-believing something or someone is capable or correct when they are not.
– Overconfidence or presumptuousness is excessive belief in someone (or something) succeeding, without any regard for failure. Source: Wikipedia.com
Did you know that many people who feel and act confident now, didn’t feel that way at first? Want to know their secret?
Confident people aren’t in a battle with their feelings. If you are trying to control your feelings, try allowing them to be there instead of controlling them. This will free your energy up to act, instead of fighting with yourself, and take it from me – that is not a fight you can ever win.
Quick & easy 5 step process to get more confidence:
- Pick a new activity every day that makes you feel uncomfortable and do it.
- Don’t place a great deal of emphasis on the outcome.*
- Don’t worry about failure or the disapproval of others.*
- Don’t dwell on negative consequences; learn what worked and what didn’t work.
- Celebrate small successes or learn from your mistakes to do better next time.
*If you have trouble with items 2 & 3, which is very common, remember: If you don’t care what others will think, you will be able to focus on the actual situation which means that enjoyment and success are more likely to occur. Make space for the fear, and act.
Simple, yet powerful success tip: Feel the fear, and do it anyway – focus on how you’ll feel great when it is behind you instead of in front of you!
Remember – confidence, like branding, is an exciting journey into the unknown with no finish line.
“Do or do not… there is no try.” Yoda